February 12, 2021•586 words
Repairs for the Specialized Crux were adding up to over £700. Decided to get a new bike. Details here are primarily for my own reference. Text mostly taken from the eBay description. I thought it read well.
Pinnacle Dolomite LTD 2017
Size wise this is an XL model and a sticker on it says it is suitable for riders from 6'1" to 6'4". This seems a little optimistic as I am 5'11" tall and it feels the right size for me. I would say it would fit someone in the height range 5'10" to 6'.
The bike is based on a 2017 Dolomite LTD which was a fast/light touring or Audax bike and was the top-of the range model. Fitted with full mudguards, front hub dynamo and a full set of lights. Later models were fitted with inferior components, for instance the full carbon fiber forks were replaced with forks with an aluminium steerer and the wheels were down-graded. This 2017 model with its 'extras' had a mass of just 10.5kg.
A number of changes have been made to make the bike more comfortable, resilient and maintainable. These include:
- A shorter steeper handlebar stem.
- Replacement of the handlebars with ergonomic carbon fiber bars (for comfort).
- Replaced the seat pin with a carbon fiber pin (for comfort).
- Added 18 (2x9) speed Shimano Sora R3000 gears (why 9 speed, see here.
- Added TRP Spyre twin 'piston' mechanical disc brakes (for simplicity and maintainability).
- Added a 175mm Shimano GRX800 46/30t chain-set (to give lower and a better selection of gears).
- Fitted a 11-32tooth 9 speed Ultrgra level cassette. New chain just fitted.
The bike includes as original:
- The aluminium alloy (titanium coloured) frame in XL size.
- Full monocoque carbon fiber forks.
- The original 700c disc wheels with Alexa asymmetric rims. Rear hub is Novatec and the front is the Shutter Precision dynamo. The wheels run true. The rims are Tubeless ready.
- Schwalbe Pro 1 28mm tyres (little used). These are tubeless tyres but I run them with tubes.
- Original saddle.
- Original lightweight mudguards. Extra Parts Supplied:
- The original stem.
- Spare brake pads.
- Two bottle cages.
- An out front Garmin mount.
Used for 5000km, but many of the items had much less use (tyres ~1000km; chain-set ~500km; handlebars and stem ~2000km). There was a recall on the rear wheel on this model; the rear wheel was replaced under guarantee.
Original Product Specifications: Pinacle Dolomite LTD 2017 (L)
- Product Name Dolomite LTD
- Brand Pinnacle
- Size L
- Rear Wheel Weight 1810
- Wheelbase (cm) 102
- Top Tube (cm) 55.5
- Seat Tube (cm) 47
- Chainstays (cm) 43
- Wheelset Alex Draw 1.9s, SP dynamo hub (f), Novatec (r)
- Weight (kg) 10.03
- Trail 6.1
- Stem Pinnacle Road alloy
- Shifters Shimano RS685 hydraulic
- Seatpost Pinnacle aluminium
- Seat Angle 74
- Saddle Pinnacle Race Mens
- Rear Tyre Schwalbe Pro One, 28mm
- Bottom Bracket BSA
- Rear Derailleur Shimano 105
- Headset Type FSA Orbit C Head Angle 72
- Handlebar FSA Omega alloy
- Front Wheel Weight 1660
- Front Tyre Schwalbe Pro One, 28mm
- Front Derailleur Shimano 105
- Frame Material 6061-T6 double- and triple-butted alloy
- Fork Offset 4.5
- Fork Carbon, 12mm thru-axle
- Cranks Shimano 105, 50/34
- Chain KMC X11
- Cassette Shimano 105 11-32
- Brakes Shimano RS805 hydraulic disc, 160mm/140mm rotors