October 10, 2019•317 words
In the name of God, the wise, the knowledgeable.
In [this video][
📺] I read and briefly discuss the [Monotheist Group's translation][
📎] of chapter 2 of the Qur'an, from ayat (verses) 1 to 39. I turned that into [this visual][
🖼] which you can download, or you're welcome to sample the work in progress [here][
🖇]. It will show you the argument in English.
The oral rendition of the Qur'an, the recitation that I have been fortunate to experience is that of the late [Abdul Basit][
🎙]. It's an acquired taste for sure, and God be praised. The link below is of chapter 2, and literally the first 25 minutes of that video covers the recitation of verses 1-39.
I urge you to give it a listen.
You will hear, if God wills, the vocal versatility, the rhythm and the sheer weight of some of these ayat. My gentle, well spirited, and mindfulness based challenge to you? Just hold your breath for as long as the reciter recites the words, follow the reciter's breath basically. This is just one of many ways to experience the Quran, the actual oral recitation.
In "my commentary" so-called, I touch on a [few][
📺] of these things starting at
- The chapter separator convention
- Positivist culture
- Bits, yep, those ones and zeros that fly through our unseen air
- My somewhat alarming realization of waking up in 2019 to lens tech
- I'm sure there's other banter
Thank you for spending your time here with me. I encourage you to post a video response, or [a comment][
🗨] linking to a resource you care about, and if God wills, I will pay it a visit.
- [📺]: https://youtu.be/1FNwsgSoBAw
- [📎]: https://www.free-minds.org/quran/PM/2
- [🖼]: https://app.box.com/s/0gmrgpyggodicipnhkts2u9j84zzrtuc
- [🎙]: https://youtu.be/FJOXzA5-1nw
- [🖇]: https://app.box.com/s/gqzeurn288571mjdsnhehy7sr0suo52t
- [🗨]: https://listed.to/authors/4464/guestbook
- 1.2 comment link
- 1.1 typo fix
- 1.0 draft blog post