Some predictions: It's a stunning example of creative nonfiction that's barely creative because the bare truth is more than enough. The writing will be prosaic, balanced with objectivity. It will set many readers on a lifelong path to non-fiction. People will pass it on as a gift. All thanks to Joe Rogan and of course the author SC Gwynne. There will be times when he’s criticized for being white by people who haven’t read his book, but’s it’s possible that cancel culture will be dead by then and we’ll all be ready to enjoy life and learn how to talk about great works of art. We must be getting close. Despite what history might tell us, humans do get exhausted by madness in all its forms.
February 1, 2020
More from The Barnacle
January 31, 2020
The show starts with an unoriginal but workable concept. People rise from the dead. They are from different eras ranging from the 1800s to the present decade. They adjust, try to recall the past. It all sounds banal, but in context of the vibrant flora and fauna of Australia and its scorching dusty small towns, there's a strong twangy charm permeating all the so-so acting and crawling plot development. Of course it devolves into romance now and then, but the thrust of the show appears to be some...
February 2, 2020
The Office is 85% comedy gold. The other 15% is poisonous nonsense about marriage and romance. It is possible to portray these complex themes alongside comedy, but The Office, like the vast majority of popular television shows, uses the threat of being single and alone to heighten suspense in characters’ relationships. The Office does this well part of the time, letting superb comedy play out. But with Pam and Jim (and eventually all the others, culminating in a final episode centered on yet ano...