So in this world where everyone knows everything about you and all your shopping history is shared with the highest bidder, what does one do to stay a little more anonymous? I've started taking some measures to improve my own situation and thought I would share them with you here.
I am using two main methods right now:
- Privacy.com is my main way to do online payments or anything over the phone.
- I can create a one time burner card number.
- Cards work for only one vendor.
- I can set a max spending limit per card.
- I don't have to use my real name or address with the cards.
So as and example, I have a card for each of my utility bills with a max withdrawal just a tad above the average. This allows me to be alerted when they try to auto draft and it was more than I was expecting. I also have cards assigned to Amazon, iTunes, and my email and VPN service. And again, these cards only work at these vendors, so if someone got my email providers info they would only be able to spend $9 a month and only at that vendor. I really like the service, note it does link to your checking account. The funds have to come from somewhere, so always use a good password and 2factor auth.
- My other method is for on the street. I started buying Visa gift cards for myself. I know that I pay an extra couple bucks for $100 card. But I can use that card anywhere and not worry about it being traced back to my checking, or if I loose it there is only a finite amount of funds on it. I haven't come across anyplace that won't take them either.
So that's about it. I am looking into some other methods to keep my finances on the downlow so to speak. As I find better methods I will be sure to share them. If you have any questions you can always find me on the twitters @OmenaTek.