Chatham County Republican Convention
The Chatham County Republican Convention will be held on March 20, 2021 starting at 10:00 AM. Please put this on your calendar. We plan to hold our convention virtually via Zoom so more registered Republicans can attend. Come meet with fellow conservatives and learn more about how the Republican Party is organized. As this is an odd-numbered year, we will hold elections for Chair, 1st and 2nd Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, the Executive Committee, and delegates to the 4th and 13th District Conventions as well as the North Carolina State Convention.
Special presentations will include the Capital Research Center and the Faith and Freedom Foundation.
Voting delegates to the Chatham County Republican Convention must be registered Republicans in Chatham County as of January 31, 2021.
If you are interested in more than just voting, attend the county convention.
We will send out registration instructions soon.
- Chatham County: March 20, 2021 10:00 AM virtual
- 4th District: April 3, 2021 virtual and in-person at the NCGOP headquarters in Raleigh
- 13th District: April 24, 2021 12:30 virtual and in-person TBD
- State Convention: June 4 through June 6, Greenville
Primary elections for 2022 are just 13 months away. Candidate registration is in December 2021.
US Senate: (Burr (R) is not running for re-election)
US House: House districts will be re-drawn in 2021 by the North Carolina legislators, with the gain of 1 North Carolina house seat. My best guess is that redistricting cannot start until the Census results are released, so maybe in June of 2021. Then after the expected lawsuits by the Left, we might have final redistricting just before the candidate registration period ends.
- Senate 23 (Foushee (D) is incumbent)
- House 54 (Reives (D) is incumbent)
- Chatham Commissioner 3 (Hales (D) is incumbent)
- Chatham Commissioner 4 (Crawford (D) is incumbent)
- Chatham Commissioner 5 (Gomez-Flores (D?) is incumbent)
- Sheriff (Roberson (D) is incumbent)
- Board of Education 3 (Turner (D) is incumbent)
Are you interested in running for any of these positions? Please contact me right away at CCGOP_Chair@pm.me.
Going Forward in Chatham County
We are going to focus on issues critically important to Chatham County -
- Broadband. Neither our elected board of commissioners (all Democrats) nor the State Legislature (controlled by Republicans) seem to be able to make any progress other than vague promises.
- Taxes and Debt. Did you see the recent article in the local newspaper that Chatham County has the second highest debt ratio in North Carolina? But per the County, 'that's ok, don't worry'. Thanks for all the debt, county commissioners.
- Environment. Pittsboro water continues to be a problem. Farms are being converted to commercial spaces. We can see the uncontrolled growth in Pittsboro (Chatham Park) and along the 15-501 corridor. All the politicians do is seem to blame other politicians for problems.
- Business Climate. Have you seen the commercial construction in the Chatham County commercial development areas west of Siler City and by Moncure? Neither have I, since nothing has happened.
At the same time, we must hold our state and national officials responsible for their actions, or inactions. It is OUR responsibility to make our views known. Email addresses for elected officials are usually easy to find online. You may just receive replies by form letters (like from Senators Tillis (R) and Burr (R)) or no answer at all (like I get from Foushee (D) and Reives (D)) but it is always worth your while to express an opinion.
We need your thoughts
The Chatham County Republican Party needs your thoughts and inputs for moving forward. Some of you have responded, but many have not. Please take five minutes and answer a few questions at https://forms.gle/6o1VUNe8Q6qq5ehh7.
Be of good cheer. Results from the 2020 election were not always what we wanted, but the Republican Party made significant gains in many areas. Almost 50% of Chatham County voted Republican. We have a new conservative Chief Justice of the North Carolina Supreme Court, Chief Justice Newby. We have a new Lieutenant Governor who is brave and unafraid to speak his mind in Mark Robinson. We continue to hold the North Carolina Senate and House of Representatives. Republicans made significant gains in the US House of Representatives, and most State Houses are now in Republican hands. It is up to us, though, to make sure Leftist ideology does not take root and continue to expand against our Nation's founding principles.
Risk and Freedom
But when no risk is taken there is no freedom. It is thus that, in an industrial society, the plethora of laws made for our personal safety convert the land into a nursery, and policemen are hired to protect us becoming self-serving busybodies.
-- Alan Watts