September 19, 2021•336 words
Voice lessons post
- Page 44
The day has been hot and sultry. The sun has set behind great banks of clouds, which are
piling up on the northwestern horizon. Now that the light is beginning to fade, the great
masses of cumulus, which are slowly gathering and rising higher toward the zenith, are lit up
by pale flashes of sheet-lightning.
-W. J. Holland, “Sugaring for Moths,” The Moth Book
- What are the details that contribute to the reader’s mental picture of the clouds? List these details and discuss the significance of the order of their presentation.
- Hot and sultry
- Piling up
- Northwest horizon
- Light is beginning to fade
- Great masses of cumulus
- Slowly gathering and rising higher
- What is sheet-lightning? Why is it more effective to say sheet-lightning than lightning?
- Page 35
Under the hard, tough cloak of the struggle for existence in which money and enormous white refrigerators and shining, massive, brutally-fast cars and fine, expensive clothing had ostensibly overwhelmed the qualities of men that were good and gentle and just, there still beat a heart of kindness and patience and forgiveness
-John Okada, No-No Boy
He believes that money has corrupted mankind's hearts. Humans their best qualities have overwhelmed the qualities of men that were good and gentle. While it isn't exactly a hatred towards money, there is a sort of petty for people who have been consumed by money present in the text.
Under the hard, tough cloak of the struggle for existence in which money had ostensibly overwhelmed the qualities of men that were good and gentle and just, there still beat a heart of kindness and patience and forgiveness
- It would downplay the importance of money and does not have the same effect on how it is corrupting humans
- No supporting the statement that money overwhelmed the qualities of men that were good
- No significant changes.