How I'm increasing my productivity.
First of all, I'm recognizing that I have a problem. It looks obvious to me now, but for two years I thought I was being smart. The problem is this: I am mortgaging my future in order to pay for short term self-indulgence.
- Track focused work
- Focused means no distractions
- Focused means meaningful: work directly related to my top priority projects
- Focused means it has a clear objective: a concrete result (blog post, song, etc.), or builds up my skills
- Pare down the number of priority projects
- Measure time spent on focused work
- Increase time spent on focused work weekly
- Remind myself of why you are doing this and what keeps you trapped in low-value activities
- Avoiding pain/discomfort
- Seeking to maximize comfort for myself
- Focusing on short term results/satisfaction
- Looking for ROI (effort/results) beyond what's reasonable
- Remind myself of my triumphs, no everything has gone down the drain