June 20, 2021•750 words
We started the lesson going through the Quizlet (word) deck together as revision. Not one by one, and not using Quizlet Live.
After that, we started with the textbook, from the start of the chapter (p. 158) to just before the third grammar point (p. 164) that had not yet been covered.
Then, we completed the rest of the handout, finishing up with the last 2 grammar points for this chapter.
This is used to indicate intention and is followed by a clause regarding the condition under which the intention will occur.
Simply put, the meaning is “if you intend to do something, …”
Previously, we have encountered some grammar structures that use 려 or 면 (2 and 4 are most relevant here):
려 indicates intention; 면 indicates a condition (“if”). V-(으)려면 is short for V-(으)려고 하면.
|받침 X, ㄹ + -려고||받침 O + 으려고|
|가다 → 가려고||읽다 → 읽으려면|
- 일찍 도착하려면 일찍 나가요.
- 행복하게 살려면
- 한국 신문을 읽으려면 사전이 필요해요.
The tricky part is because when translated to English, V-(으)려고 and V-(으)려면 can both be translated as “to”, as in, “in order to”.
If it helps:
- V-(으)려고 has the same meaning as V-고 싶어서
- V-(으)려면 has the same meaning as V-고 싶으면
This is used to indicate an interrupted action followed by another action.
It can be translated as “while”, similar to V-(으)면서.
However, with V1-(으)면서 V2, the two actions (V1 and V2) happen at the same time. With V1-다가 V2, the first action (V1) was not completed, but rather interrupted by the second action. (V2)
- 밥을 먹으면서 전화를 받았어요. ⇒ You were eating and received a call at the same time. You continued to eat while answering.
- 밥을 먹다가 전화를 받았어요. ⇒ You were eating and received a call. You stopped eating to answer the call.
V-다가 is also frequently used with giving directions, which is why it appears in this chapter. This is because you frequently have to switch directions (you cannot keep going in the initial direction) or change to another mode of transport in order to arrive at your final destination.
- 쭉 가다가 오른쪽으로 가세요.
- 아까는 눈이 오다가 지금은 비가 와요.
- 영화가 정말 재미없어서 보다가 잤어요.
|위치||location||位置, like if you are buying something at a department store (a place–곳), then where is the department store located e.g. Orchard Road is the 위치.|
|6개월 이용권||6 month voucher/subscription (as a gift)||구독 = subscription, but if you are giving, say, a 6-month sub to Spotify as a gift, then you would say 스포티파이 6개월 이용권.|
|(밸런스) 짐볼||exercise ball||gym ball, Swiss ball, balance ball, etc.|
|학생증||student ID (card)|
|복도 끝||end of the corridor||복도 끝에 화장실로 가세요.|
|삶||life; living||지금 삶에 만족하다 = to be satisfied with your current life|
|깊이 생각하다||to think deeply|
|그만두다||to stop, to cease, to quit||e.g. to stop attending a course, to quit a job|
|건강해지다||to become healthy|
|스트레스를 풀다||to relieve stress|
|정상||summit||산 정상까지 올라갔어요?|
- 베이징에서 오는 비행기가 몇 시에 도착하는지 아세요?
- 요금이 얼마인지 아세요?
- 오늘 숙제 뭐인지 아세요? (뭔지 아세요)
- 한국 친구를 사귀려면…
- 한국 교환 학생 프로그램에 가 보세요/참여해요.
- 한국 친구를 사귀려면 한국 문화 동호회에 가입하세요.
- 한국 친구를 사귀려면 온라인으로 언어 교환을 해 보세요.
- 행복하게 살려면…
- 너무 자주 걱겅하지 마세요.
- 지금 삶에 만족하세요.
- 너무 깊이 생각하지 마세요.
- Workbook for Chapter 7, p. 138–141 (end)
- Quizlet Chapter 7 sentence set
- Students: 4 out of 5 (the only guy left in the class wasn’t here)
- Breakout room activities: Yes. Semi-random. (Was with one person for the first activity, then another person for the rest.)