August 14, 2021•1,005 words
We finished up Chapter 9 (and the 2A book), and started on Chapter 10.
This was about the special phone numbers in Korea.
- 120 is the one you call in Seoul when you want to know what are the other numbers to call
- 119 is for the fire department/ambulance
- 112 is for the police
- 114 is to find out the phone number of a particular business/shop
- 131 is for the weather
- 1330 is a travel hotline, and is what the short write-up covers
We went through this very quickly, probably because it is nothing new.
When the final consonant sound [ㄷ] is followed by ‘ㄴ, ㅁ’, [ㄷ] is pronounced as [ㄴ].
- 듣는 [든는]
- 옛날 [연날]
- 못 만나요 [몬만나요]
Related rules were covered in:
- Lesson 31 (SNU 1A, Chapter 7)
- When the final consonant sound [ㅂ] is followed by a syllable that begins with ‘ㄴ, ㅁ’, then [ㅂ] is prounounced as [ㅁ].
- Lesson 47 (SNU 1B, Chapter 12)
- One of the pronunciation rules for 못: 못[몯] + ㄴ,ㅁ → [몬] + [ㄴ],[ㅁ].
- Lesson 58 (SNU 1B, Chapter 15)
- When the final consonant sounds [ㄱ, ㄷ, ㅂ] are followed by ‘ㄴ’ , they are pronounced as [ㅇ, ㄴ, ㅁ].
- Lesson 65 (SNU 2A, Chapter 1)
- When the final consonant sound [ㅂ] is followed by the initial consonants ‘ㄴ, ㅁ’, then [ㅂ] is prounounced as [ㅁ].
- Lesson 81 (SNU 2A, Chapter 8)
- When the final consonant sound [ㄱ] is followed by the initial consonants ‘ㄴ, ㅁ’, then [ㄱ] is prounounced as [ㅇ].
Overview of SNU 2B
As per tradition, we also did an overview of the chapters in the 2B book before going into the grammar in the handout.
- 10 – food, 반말 (casual speech)
- 11 – symptoms
- 12 – appearance and personality
- 13 – house and home living
- 14 – etiquette and manners
- 15 – life events and how to talk about changes
- 16 – festivals
- 17 – accidents, colours, patterns
- 18 – emotions and seasons
1. N 중에(서)
This is used to indicate a selection of one item among two or more.
N is (generally?) a category of item.
- 저는 한국 음식 중에서 불고기를 가장 좋아해요.
- 운동 중에서 뭘 제일 잘해요?
- 가족 중에서 누가 제일 키가 커요?
Observation is that it is used with 가장 or 제일 to indicate the superlative.
If it is not a category, but a place (the teacher mentioned 장소), you would not use 중:
- 세계에서 에베레스트 산이 제일 높아요.
- 이 근처에서 이 식당이 제일 맛있어요.
As of now, I do not yet know:
- If N must always be a category.
- If it is possible to use this construction without 가장/제일.
|숨쉬기||breathing||If someone asks you what exercise you do, and you do not do any, you can say 숨쉬기밖에 안 해요.|
|1회 (일 회)||one time||Same meaning as 한 번. 충4회 in the given context meant that there were in total 4 lessons.|
|정보를 얻다||to get information||From Culture Note.|
|상담원||operator||This one and the following are from the reading, which is actually last week’s homework, but I have not done the homework nor added it to the last post, so here they are.|
|치료를 받다||to get treatment|
|맵다||to be spicy|
|달다||to be sweet|
|짜다||to be salty|
|깅겁다||to be bland|
|쓰다||to be bitter|
|시다||to be sour|
|입에 맞다||to be to one's taste|
|한정식||Korean multi course meal||韩定食|
|맛집||restaurant for renowned delicious food|
|동기||same batch||school/office, 同期|
|동갑||the same age (同甲)|
|오랜만에||after a long time|
|막판||at the last moment|
|자유 여행||self-guided tour||自助旅行|
|시키다||to order||same as 주문하다|
|돈이 아깝다||It’s a waste of money.|
|배달되다||to be delivered||配达|
|갖다 주다||to bring|
|말을 놓다||to speak in a casual way||반말하다|
|설탕||sugar||커피가 너무 쓰니까 우유하고 설탕을 넣었어요.|
|다이어트||diet||제가 요즘 다이어트 중이에요. 그래서 단 것을 안 먹어요.|
|식초||vinegar||식초를 많이 넣어서 좀 셔요.|
|에베레스트 산||Mt. Everest|
- Worksheet chapter 10, p. 16–19
- Quizlet Chapter 10 word set
- Students: 4 out of 5 (the slightly older lady was unwell)
- Breakout room activities: Yes, pairs, same partner.