October 21, 2021•380 words
Outline two ways in which Pilkington gives you a sense of perspective in the first 8 lines of the text? [2 marks]
- Pilkigton express his perspective through opinion and he goes into detail when describing thing around him.
Identify two ways in which the author makes the description of the toad killings memorable. [2 marks]
- Pilkigton uses both diction and an asyndetic list to make the toad killing more memorable.
Select two examples of humour from the text and analyse the effect of each on the reader. [4 marks]
- Pilkigton uses both satire and mockery. An example of this is when he writes "rows and rows of bugs on sticks. They had big black scorpions, snakes, worms and lotuses all laid out like they were queuing to get on Noah's Ark." The effect of this on the reader is that he uses a familiar situation to make this gruesome event more light hearted.
Outline two ways in which sound plays a role in this scene. (Do not include comments on the use of voice-over here). [2 marks]
- The sound makes the video seem more pleasant. It also makes the viewer realise what might be happening in the background of the market.
What is the overall effect of the voice-over in this extract? Select two examples of voice over commentary and analyse their effect on the viewer. [4 marks]
- Some of the voice overs were synchronous and other were asynchronous. At 0:00:43 - 0:00:53 seconds, the voice over here is supposed to with the imagery which is food that a person in the Western part of the world would find odd? The effect of this on the viewer is to show how repulsed he is, therefore "an idiot abroad."
Outline two ways in which Pilkington makes the scorpion eating scene humorous through his spoken language in the scene. Give an example of each. [4 marks]
- In this scene (00:01:21) Pilkigton uses obscenity to create a humorous atmosphere. Words like "arse" help this" He also keeps building up the same joke which makes it amusing and entertaining. When he is telling a joke, he keeps a straight face. This really allows for the joke to sit and makes the whole situation satirical.
15 Minutes To Complete