July 15, 2022•490 words
In the Bible 32 tribes of giants are mentioned (if you include the Nephilim who were the original giants and the Canaanites which technically includes multiple tribes).
I am not including the Zazummin because they are simply what the Ammonites called the Rephaim.
The Amalekites, Amorites, Anakim, Ashdodites, Ashkelonites (Eshkalonites), Avvim, Avites, Canaanites, Caphtorim, Ekronites, Emim (Emins),
Gazites (Gazathites), Geshurites , Gibalites (Giblites), Gibeonites, Girgashites, Gittites, Hittites, Hivites, Horites (Horims), Jebusites, Kadmonites, Kenites,
Kenizzites, Maacathites, Manassites, Nephilim, Perizzites, Philistines, Rephaim, Sidonians, and the Zuzim.
- Amalekites are mentioned 25 times
- Amorites are mentioned 87 times
- Anakim are mentioned 9 times
- Ashdodites are mentioned 4 times
- Ashkelonites (Eshkalonites) are mentioned 1 time
- Avvim are mentioned 3 times
- Canaanites are mentioned 21 times but not all Canaanites peoples were giants.
- Caphtorim are mentioned 2 times
- Ekronites are mentioned 2 times
- Emim (aka Emins) are mentioned 3 times
- Gazites (Gazathites) are mentioned 2 times
- Geshurites are mentioned 6 times
- Gibeonites are mentioned 8 times
- Gibalites (Giblites) are mentioned 2 times
- Girgashites are mentioned 7 times
- Gittites are mentioned 10 times
- Hittites are mentioned 48 times
- Hivites are mentioned 25 times
- Horites (Horims) are mentioned 7 times
- Jebusites are mentioned 41 times
- Kadmonites are mentioned 1 time
- Kenites are mentioned 11 times
- Kenizzites are mentioned 4 times
- Maacathites are mentioned 8 times
- Manassites are mentioned 4 times
- Nephilim are mentioned 2 times
- Perizzites are mentioned 23 times
- Philistines are mentioned 290 times but many Philistines were not giants.
- Rephaim are mentioned 18 times
- Sidonians are mentioned 16 times
- Zuzim are mentioned 1 time
That is a total of 687 mentions of tribes, people groups, or nations of (or containing) giants.
There are 19 giants that are named specifically in the Bible.
- Adoni-zedek (aka Adonizedek, Adonizedec), King of Jerusalem, is mentioned 2 times
- Agag, King of the Amalakites, is mentioned 8 times
- Ahiman (anakim) is mentioned 4 times
- Amalek is mentioned 24 times
- Arba is mentioned 3 times
- Gog is mentioned 11 times
- Magog is mentioned 5 times
- Goliath is mentioned 6 times
- Hoham, King of Hebron, is mentioned 1 time
- Horam, King of Gezer, is mentioned 1 time
- Jabin, King of Hazor, is mentioned 7 times
- Jobab, King of Madon, is mentioned 9 times
- Lahmi is mentioned 1 time
- Nimrod is mentioned 4 times
- Og of Bashan is mentioned 22 times
- Sheshai (anakim) is mentioned 3 times
- Sihon, King of the Amorites, is mentioned 39
- Sippai is mentioned 1 time
- Talmai (anakim) is mentioned 6 times
That is a total of 157 mentions of specific giants.
687 + 157 = 844 total references to individual giants, tribes, and people groups containing giants in the Bible.